Re: Keyboard, Cherry CyMotion XPress (G86-21050)

On Saturday, December 27 2003 04:22 pm, Thorsten Giese wrote:
> Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2003 20:48 schrieb George Socker:
>
> First, thanks for your answer.
>
> > What do you mean by "not recognized"? If you don't see KeyPress/
> > KeyRelease events then the special keys probably need to be
> > programmed.
>
> That is exactly what happens. I can see the events for all other
> keys, but not for the ones I mentioned in the first post.
>
> > Unfortunately, they probably require the Windows software to
> > program.
>
> Of course there was a Windows CD in the package. ;)  But: I thought,
> all keyboards make an event by any keystroke. I exspected this
> somewhere in the protocoll for the keyboards. Even if not assigned,
> the button "is there", just like the 3-6-buttons with mice. The
> assignment is the easy part, as you already mentioned.

 If the keyboard stores the programming information, and they come
unassigned, they probably won't generate events. I have a Fingerworks
Touchstream LP, and the keys on it that have no function by default
don't generate any keycodes until they have a function assigned.

> Is there an way to get the buttons work under X or is there no hope?
> Would it help to boot Windows, assign there the keys (maybe in the
> keyboards eeprom) and then have them under X? (I don't even know if
> this keyboard has an eeprom, where to set the numbers, just a guess.)

 If they don't generate any keypresses by default there might be an
eeprom on board, as I don't see how the Windows software could tell
they'd been pressed if they don't generate anything. If it does have an
eeprom, assigning the keys under Windows will probably work.