Re: xinit setting priority of X process

The fact that it has existed for a decade doesn't make it correct to use now. /usr/include/linux files are provided by debian for me, and whatever your distribution is. I dont know if your X server process is being niced to a value of -1 (or if you use the cvs and not some distro version) but either this is a debian problem or a X problem because having the server default to a niced value of -1 is not optimal or desired behavior anymore. I wonder if undefining it in host.cfg will cause any other adverse effects. Either way, if your distribution is defining PRIO_PROCESS (maybe even vanilla kernels do too) then the only reason why some people's X's aren't running -1 is because they renice it with some script. default nice level is something that should be handled by reading a value from .xinitrc not hardcoded. a decade ago this was fine because everyone used kernels with not so good schedulers.

Mark Vojkovich wrote:
   That is in the sample implementation.  That line exists in
the XFree86 code base going back a decade.

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/xinit/xinit.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

On my machine PRIO_PROCESS is defined in /usr/include/linux/resource.h

Mark.