GNOME will not start?

Sir/Madam,

I am a newbie (and not a programmer) running Linux 9 on a new Dell Pentium computer. It has worked fine for several weeks. Yesterday I went to the RHN site and downloaded approx. 34 errata updates and 14 package updates. I am not a paying customer so the package updates downloads were designated 'pending' (waiting for available time to download, I guess). I don't know if they were downloaded by the time I shut down the pc at the end of the day.

This morning the desktop program would not start and I had to reboot several times just to get to the shell. I have attached the xfree86 log file as instructed in the original error message, which I hope will be of help to solve my problem.

Also, when I reboot now, the last lines to display are the following:

  Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
  Kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on an i686
  400SC login: /etc/X11/prefdm: line 1: GNOME: command not found

I did have control of the shell at this point and was able log on. I used smbclient to copy the XFree86 log file to another Windows pc on the network.

If I cannot go forward in solving this problem from here, is there a way to restore the system to where it was before I downloaded from RHN?

Thank you for any help or suggestions you may have.

Best regards,
Richard Bohne
HCE, Inc., No. Chelmsford, MA