Re: i830 video ram problems

I’ve got a similar problem, the difference is I sent my laptop in for repair, and they upgraded the BIOS.

I’m still trying to get gateway to replace the original BIOS, but looks like it may not happen.

Here is their first response:

>Hello Donald,

>Thank you for your e-mail.  From your message, I see that you would like to have the original BIOS that was >installed in your computer before sending it for service.

>Donald, I apologize, kindly note that the BIOS has been updated in order to resolve the issue you had with your >computer.  Please note that once

>BIOS is updated, there is no option to revert it to the older version.

>The new BIOS installed will help your computer resolve any compatibility issues and boot issues.  I apologize for >any inconvenience this has

>caused.

The “issue” he refers to is the laptop would not pass POST during boot, first occasionally, then gradually more

Frequently. Needless to say, if it had resolved the issue, I would live with it. Unfortunately, even after the BIOS upgrade, the third time I turned it on, it refused to pass POST. The other problem that they fixed was a bad cable to

The laptop screen, adjusting the viewing angle would cause the screen to go black.

XF86 v4.3 worked fine out of the box at 1024x768-24bpp before the BIOS upgrade. (SuSE 8.2 stock  2.4.20 kernel)

I also googled this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93591

we  are not alone, there’s at least three of us!