Re: I852/855G and widescreen support.

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Davide Dozza wrote:

>> The problem is that the xfree86 driver relies on the video BIOS to
>> provide the mode information.   if the BIOS does not have the mode info
>> for 1280x800 then you are out of luck.  Unfortunately intel has not
>> provided specs for setting the mode apart from the BIOS.
>>

>Yes, it's true. The BIOS does not have the support of this resolution, but:
>- Accelerated-X provides a driver that is working at 1280x768 that is
>also not supported into the BIOS (not like 1280x800 but much better
>than 1024x768)

Which evidentally means that Intel has given XiG their
specifications under NDA, or some other business contract, or XiG
has reverse engineered Intel's chips or somesuch.

>- Windows has drivers working fine.

No surprise there, since Intel's Windows video drivers are most
likely written by Intel themselves, or by some other party for
Intel, and they almost certainly have the complete hardware
specifications for every aspect of Intel's chips, and probably
even direct access to the hardware engineers themselves.

>This means that there is a way to overcome this limitation.

By saving your money and acquiring Intel Inc., then providing the
specifications to the community?  Or are you suggesting something
else I'm missing.  What part of WE DO NOT HAVE THE DAMN
SPECIFICATIONS is unclear?  The way to overcome that, is for
Intel to provide the specifications.  What are you missing?

>Are there any working plan on this matter?

Yes.  The working plan is:

1) Wait until Intel releases the specifications to the public.
2) Wait until some developer gives a shit about the problem
   enough to take those specs and do something about the problem.

>Are there any experimental patches that I can try to use?

No.

>Can I use framebuffer instead of native i810 driver? If so any
>suggestion where I can find information about?

Unless you have a rich Uncle of considerable influence at Intel
or something, there is nothing you can find out about and
absolutely nothing you can do about this.  The code can _only_ be
written via having the specifications, or reverse engineering.
Feel free to single step the video BIOS, and provide patches to
implement the desired functionality.

Good luck.

--
Mike A. Harris