Dell Inspiron 1100 (yes, the A22 BIOS, Intel 845G Chipset, and 1 measly mb of ram)

Hi,
I have a Dell i1100 laptop with the dreaded new BIOS that hard codes the 1M ram for video.
So far I have read a million things from folks using LINUX who were able to use a patch to fix their issue. However, what of FreeBSD? I had read that theat patch was included in the recent snapshots of X so I installed that on the laptop, but a) I'm unclear how to enable it and b) am unsure if its meant to work on FreeBSD at all. I am running 4.9-R and have agpgart loading at boot. it detects the intel (Intel 82845G (845G GMCH) and makes some comment about 892m stolen memory and 128M aperture size. Well when i start X i dont see anything referring to allocating any ram, i tried setting the videoram in XF86Config, no change, I dont know how the patch is supposed to work, or how to enable it so I dont know if its just NOT working, or if its not working because I havent enabled it somehow. At any rate, currently I have a choice of 1024x768 at a lovely depth of 8, or a really gorgeous 4x6 box at 16 or 24 :)

Any help would be really great!
Thanks!
Michelle