ATI Rage 3d under 4.3.0

I have a laptop with an ATI 3d Rage P/M card built in.
 I've been running Linux/XFree on it for several years
with no problems.  This morning I upgraded to SuSE
9.0, which included a X11 server that reports itself
as XFree86 4.3.0.1.  When I run the server the display
comes up, but everything is wrapped or shifted aprox.
50 rows vertically.  That is: the 50 rows that should
be at the top of the display are at the bottom.  Most
everything works, but the pointer is also offset by
about the same number of rows (i.e. to select
something I have to click 50 rows below it)

The LCD is capable of 1024x768, xwininfo reports the
correct screen size.

I've tried any number of modelines, including those
that the server generates.  Most importantly I've also
tried modelines and complete config files from my
previous setup (version 4.2.0 I believe).  These modes
and/or config files worked with that server.  In all
cases valid mode lines result in the "wrapped"
display.

Guessing that the number 4.3.0.1 indicates
modifications by SuSE, I also downloaded the 4.3.0
version from the XFree86 ftp server.  It produced the
same behavior as the 4.3.0.1 version.

I downloaded the 4.4.0 stuff from development, but am
having some trouble getting it to compile.  I'll try
again tomorrow, but I was hoping that someone else
might have already seen and solved this problem.

thanks