Option Overlay and dual head

Dear all,

    I have an application which needs to run on 8 bit colors in the Redhat 7.1.  The X window version is 4.0.3.  With the manual of the application, we configure the XFCconfig-4 file with the overlay options, Option Overlay "8,24" in Device section.  The video card used is Matrox Millennium 450.  The application is running fine.  Right now we want to configure it as dual head clone.   However, we have problem about this option.  We can set the dual head without overlay option.  We can get the image on the second monitor although the image has ripple around it.  After we add the Overlay option, the X window complains that the "root windows depth differs" and won't start.  Is there any way to solve this problem?  We knew that two monitor should have the same color depth.  Therefore, we set the default color depth the same.  However, it doesn't work once we add that overlay option.

Samuel