Re: VGA console on screen 0, X on screen 1???

>We're building a cluster with a bunch of dual DVI nVidia cards. The
>first port on each card is plugged into a KVM. The second port is
>plugged into a stereo projector. Our system guys want to retain the
>VGA console on the KVM port--no X.

Impossible. xf86 blocks VGA output until run.

>At the same time we want to run X
>on the projector. The kbd/mouse can stay with the console--we don't
>need them on the X port (output only renderer).
>
>I've figured out how to start X on both ports (or Screens in X
>jargon). I also have succeeded in starting X on Screen 1 (the
>projector) by running the startx command on the console. It startx X
>on Screen 1 OK, but blanks the console until X exits.
>
>Does anyone know the XF86Config magic to make this work?

Your system guys should use two screens of xf86, very well explained
in the nVidia readme. Start programms on second screen with
command line parameter
$ xterm -display :0.1
Here unnecessary is Xinerama or nVidia specific "TwinView", which
unify two independ screens of xf86 into large virtual one.

Aivils Stoss