Re: A newbie question...

There's a lot of extremely detailed info on tldp.org.
You will need a lot of time. But if you finally
understand and do it right, your problems will go
away. Search for HOW-TO or HOW TO.
(OTOH, I found the modules I needed to be able to use
old Mac monitors, international keyboards, etc., but I
really need a detailed procedure on how to install
those modules. This is much more serious and dangerous
than tweaking XFdrake (a.k.a. xf86cfg).) And, yes, you
can destroy your monitor if things go really wrong.
George