mandrake 9.0 X Window configuration

to whoever it may concern

I have a Digital model 3100 with a Pentium at 200 mhz with MMX technology. The video card is built in
and it is
integrated S3 Trio 64v2/GX
PCI 64 bit graphics accelerator
with one MB SDram standard, upgradeable
to two MB ram
supports 1600 x 1200 @ 75 hz

the monitor is a Thakral Brothers Monitor model "Orion"
        Type FST Dot Pitch 0.27mm

        CRT type FST
 l      Max resolution 1280 X 1024 non-interlaced
       Horizontal frequency 30 - 70 khz
       Vertical frequency    50 - 160 khz
       Dotrate   110 mhz
       Power management VESA DPMS

I went threw every setting possible to try to get the X Server going. At one point I got the edit
that the S3 Tri video card was unsupported. It suggested that I try a"Generic VGA compatable card".
Consequently I got the X server running. And it is going right into a KDE home page. Unfortionately
only half the CRT screen is populated. All the top of the KDE screen is missing all I get is the lower
half of the screen. All the characters are large--low resolution.

Consequently using XFdrake I have been searching resolution setting. The only constant I have been
using is the Custom setting for the Video Card. I might be getting the X server going but I am only
able to get a half screen.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
thanks
Larry Kelly