[XFree86] XFree86 freezes in minutes (was:Trident Blade, "no screens")

I notice a deafening silence on this topic all of a sudden.  Have I
offended my hosts or become tiresome?  Please accept my apologies.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the freezing I'm seeing is
an XFree86 issue or something else?  Does RH9 do this a lot?

I'd consider hardware deficiencies, but when I boot my old RH 7.x on
the exact same hardware (except different HD), it stays up for days,
vs. minutes w/RH9 and the new XFree86.  Adjusting the resolution to
"pathetically low" doesn't fix it.

Feel free to recommend that I have someone cut the traces to the
onboard video, replace my motherboard, install SUSE, etc.  I presume
XFree86 is *the* X server at this point, but I'm even open to changing
that if you think it would be an option -- I am stuck at RedHat
7.something until I get past this.

Thanks, and I realize nobody's getting paid for the advice given
here.

-jmc

| Thomas Winischhofer writes:
|  > John Chandler wrote:
|  > >  > >(--) PCI:*(0:8:0) Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS300/305 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter rev 144, Mem @ 0xd0000000/27, 0xe0000000/17, I/O @ 0xdc00/7
|  > >  > >(--) PCI: (1:0:0) Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 rev 106, Mem @ 0xdd800000/23, 0xde000000/17, 0xdd000000/23
|  > >  >
|  > [...]
|  > > The monitor is not connected to the on-board video card, it is
|  >
|  > This is slightly OT: Is the SiS 300/305 really on-board? If so, what MB
|  > is this?
|
| Is there any way to tell, other than just remembering or checking the
| docs, in which case I'm hosed?
|
| BTW, it does appear that the add-on card is the SiS.  That is, when I
| reinstalled RedHat and told it I had an SiS, X did come up.  It came
| up in patheticaly low resolution and the system froze after about five
| minutes, but it did come up.  Any clue what the issue would be here?

The resolution problem is fixable using a Gnome utility.  But the
machine still abruptly freezes after a short while -- five to ten
minutes.  Once it was when emacs had just come up, once it was when
another app had painted the blank rectangle of a drop-down menu but
had not filled in any of the menu panes.  And it's utter lockup --
caps lock key doesn't make the LED come on.

Any clue why I'd be seeing this, and more to the point, what I can do
to fix it?  Get a horse?  I guess I'll try lowering the resolution and
see if that changes anything.  But my current desktop is 1400x1050
with the same card, and I'm sure I'm not setting the resolution on the
new system any higher than that.

-jmc