Re: [XFree86] Trident Blade, "no screens"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:04:16AM -0800, John Chandler wrote:
>David Dawes writes:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:01:13AM -0800, John Chandler wrote:
> > >Thank you very much for your response.  What you suggest had an
> > >effect, but not an entirely good one...

>        [...]
> > > >

> > >I tried this, and when I restarted the server from the command
> > >line, the screen went dark and never came back.  I was able to do
> > >a ctrl-alt-f1 to get back to screen one where I was then able to
> > >do a ctr-c and abort the server.  I thought the trouble might be
> > >that I hadn't rebooted, so I tried that.  This time, the screen
> > >went dark and stayed dark.  Any clue what I ought to do at this
> > >point?  (I guess I first have to look up how to boot RedHat 9
> > >without starting X...)

> > >I wish I had a decent on-board video interface.
> >
> > Based on what you've said, maybe it's the Trident that is on-board
> > and the SiS is the external card? If that's the case, you need to
> > modify your XF86Config to use the "sis" driver instead of the
> > "trident" driver (and remove the 'busid' line you just added).
> >
>        [...]
>
>I don't have much info about the other driver.  And of course, I've
>lost the docs for the add-on card, too.  I'd look at the mfr's web
>site, but there's not much writing on the card, so I don't know *what*
>mfr.  (It's amazing how worthless a card can become without docs.)
>What I do have is the XF86Config file that works with this add-on
>card.  I attach it below, and perhaps it reveals something.

That looks like an XFree86 3.3.x config file.  A lot from the 3.3.x
server that worked with this file would probably provide more info.

>I note that in the "Graphics device" sections, the VideoRam lines are
>commented out (I don't know why, and don't remember doing it), but it
>is my vague recollection that the on-board interface had 1/4 MB and
>the add-on had 32MB.

Well, the primary card is the one that you get the BIOS boot messages
on, and which Linux boots on.  Since your monitor is plugged into
the add-in PCI card, it's almost certain that it is the SiS card.
So that's the driver you need to be using.  The VideoRam lines
usually should be commented out, so don't worry about that.  I'm
not up on which SiS cards are supported by the 4.3 sis driver, but
since Thomas is following this thread, I'm sure he can help with
that.

Have you tried modifying your XFree86 4.x config to use the "sis" driver
instead of the "trident" driver?

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project