Re: [XFree86] Trident Blade, "no screens"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:01:13AM -0800, John Chandler wrote:
>Thank you very much for your response.  What you suggest had an
>effect, but not an entirely good one...
>
>David Dawes writes:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:27:54PM -0800, John Chandler wrote:
> > >When I my newly-installed RedHat system launches, X fails with this
> > >message:
> > >
> > >        [...]
> > >  (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:08:0
> > >  (WW) TRIDENT: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
> > >  (EE) No devices detected.
> > >
> > >  Fatal server error:
> > >  no screens found
> >
> > >(--) PCI:*(0:8:0) Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS300/305 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter rev 144, Mem @ 0xd0000000/27, 0xe0000000/17, I/O @ 0xdc00/7
> > >(--) PCI: (1:0:0) Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 rev 106, Mem @ 0xdd800000/23, 0xde000000/17, 0xdd000000/23
> >
> > The easiest way to deal with this would be to make the AGP video
> > card the primary video card from your BIOS configuration (assuming
> > that it has such an option).  That way you'll be using the same
> > card with XFree86 that you're booting on.  The XFree86 server is
> > showing the primary video (the one you're bootting up with) to
> > currently be the on-board SiS video.  Where do you have your
> > monitor connected?
>
>The monitor is not connected to the on-board video card, it is
>connected to the one that is mounted in a PCI slot.  The on-board
>video has a very small amount of RAM and would only support
>Fisher-Price resolutions.  Apparently the only thing I can do in the
>BIOS is specify which of the two to initialize first, I can't make the
>on-board one disappear entirely.  One might argue that there are good
>reasons for that...
>
> > If you want XFree86 to run on the Trident card without making it
> > the primary you'll need to edit your XF86Config file to tell the
> > trident driver which device it should be driving.  You can do that
> > by adding the following line to the relevant Device section of your
> > XF86Config file:
> >
> >     Busid "1:0:0"
> >

>I tried this, and when I restarted the server from the command line,
>the screen went dark and never came back.  I was able to do a
>ctrl-alt-f1 to get back to screen one where I was then able to do a
>ctr-c and abort the server.  I thought the trouble might be that I
>hadn't rebooted, so I tried that.  This time, the screen went dark and
>stayed dark.  Any clue what I ought to do at this point?  (I guess I
>first have to look up how to boot RedHat 9 without starting X...)
>
> > A second alternative is that you really want to be using the built-in
> > SiS video.
>
>I wish I had a decent on-board video interface.

Based on what you've said, maybe it's the Trident that is on-board
and the SiS is the external card? If that's the case, you need to
modify your XF86Config to use the "sis" driver instead of the
"trident" driver (and remove the 'busid' line you just added).

> > [We should make busid optional in cases like this where there is
> > only one card the driver could possibly be wanting to use.]
>
>I understand that it's not reasonable to expect you to comment on
>someone else's product, but maybe you have some idea why the X server
>used by the RH graphical install sequence seemed to choose the right
>card?  I mean what could account for the different behavior -- it
>can't be that RH uses someone else's X server for installs, can it?

Maybe their installer uses the vesa driver, which would handle the
primary card.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project