[XFree86] Armada 1750 problem

Hi there

I wonder if someone can give a newbie a hand ? I am running Red Hat 9.0 on a Compaq Armada which contains an internal ATI Rage LT Pro. The display is working but there is a weird problem.

Like most laptops the screen goes blank when the lid is closed. When this happens X Windows crashes and all I get is a blank screen after I lift the lid again. The following additional information may help:

1) This problem does not occur during boot (before X Windows starts) or in CMOS setup or when running the original OS (Windows 98SE). Hardware is therefore assumed to be OK.

2) After X Windows crashes I can press Alt-F1 to Alt-F6 and get a viewable text screen. Alt-F7 should get me back to X Windows but all I see is a blank screen.

3) Everything else continues to work after X Windows crashes, for example the CD Player in KDE continues to play an audio CD.

If someone can tell me how to access the setup and log files I can post them but for now I am not sure where to look. All replies to edal@xxxxxxxxxxxx please.

Thank you.

Ed Almos
Budapest, Hungary

Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu