Re: [XFree86] xfree86 4.3.0 and kernel-2.6.0-test9......

Ralph Crongeyer wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to test the 2.6.0-test9 kernel on my laptop and I'm having problems with X.
I have the nvidia kernel module compiled and installed (lsmod shows the nvidia module loaded) but when I try to startx I get:
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

However if I include the entire path to the module and the fullname of the module it complanes that the module is an "Invalid type"??

Do I need a patch to make it so xfree can recognise the new modules (.ko modules)?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ralph

---
[Quipo ISP - Questa E-mail e' stata controllata dal programma Declude Virus]
[Quipo ISP - This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Hello,
I'm running Linux 2.6.0-test9 and XFree86 4.3.0 successfully even if I've got a desktop computer.
XFree tells you that there is no module nvidia so I can suppose that you didn't install the NVidia
driver after you upgraded to the new kernel. Install it (I mean by compiling it) once again while
running 2.6.0-test9 and there should be no problem.
If the nvidia module starts at boot, you should check that is loaded by
modprobe nvidia
instead of
insmod nvidia
because insmod has still some problem (you have to pass it the full pathname to the module).
See you!

---