[XFree86] Voodoo3 2000/XFree-4.3.0 - DRI problem

Greetings,

I recently configured [gkx]dm logins, but noticed that
after I logged out of the first session my other VTs would
become unusable (showing a static [gkx]dm login screen but
no console). Furthermore [gkx]dm seemed to having switched
VTs (from VT7 -> VT8). I could log into a session and later
log out again (again switch VTs VT8 -> VT7, race condition?).

This problem occured only when I started [xkg]dm, but not when
I used startx from the console. In both cases DRI was enabled.

With DRI disabled, [kgx]dm work perfectly for me (no graphics
errors upon logging out). I tested my configuration using an
older Version of XFree86 (4.1.0) where everything worked perfectly
as well, even with DRI enabled. In both cases I had compiled XFree86
by myself, but console switching (after logging out of first session)
also didn't work when I tested with a precompiled XFree-4.3.0 version
(from SuSE-8.2). I didn't much test Xfree-4.2.x, though.

Then I downloaded the linux-drm-4.3.0-kernelsource package from
the XFree86-Homepage and compiled it on my system (Kernel 2.4.21,
GCC-2.95.2); but whereas the tdfx.o kernel module seems to work
ok, the tdfx_drv.so prevents X from starting altogether:
(from my XFree86.0.log)

(EE) LoadModule: Module tdfx does not have a tdfxModuleData data object.
(EE) Failed to load module "tdfx" (invalid module, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

This only happens with the tdfx_drv.so from the linux-drm package, though.
So while I now have a configuration that allows me to use [gkx]dm (by
disabling DRI), I would like to know if this error can be fixed in the
upcoming XFree86-4.4.0 release (considering that [gkx]dm+DRI seemed to
work in at least XFree-4.1.0).

Greetings
 Stefan Birkholz