Re: [Dri-devel] Re: [XFree86] Re: DRI weirdnesses for RADEON 9200

Alan Hourihane wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:07:33PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
manu wrote:

Responding to myself : sorry it seems that the problem is because the r200_dri.so module is linked against libexpat.so.1 which is not on my system. So I just made a link to the one I had and all is working great now!
glxgears gives me ~1535 FPS. Is it OK? (Radeon 9200 with 64MB).
Thanks for the help, and sorry for eating the bandwidth ;-)

Ah! Actually, thank you very much. :) The problem seems to be that with libexpat.so missing, there are unresolved symbols in r200_dri.so. The dlopen of r200_dri.so in OpenDriver (lib/GL/dri/dri_glx.c, line 184) fails. HOWEVER, it only logs a message if LIBGL_DEBUG is set. I removed libexpat from my system and was able to recreate the crash. With LIBGL_DEBUG set I get a nice message about not being able to open the driver.

My person opinion is that the error messages in OpenDriver (but not the ones in GetDriverName) should be printed regardless of the setting of LIBGL_DEBUG. That would have helped find the source of this problem much sooner. We basically got lucky that Manu figured out that libexpat was missing for himself. :)

We should probably link against the static version of libexpat.a to avoid this trouble.

I was pretty sure that the snapshots did staticly link with libexpat.a. I remember there being some discussion about this. Once XFree86 4.4.0 hits the streets this particular problem will be moot. AFAIK, XFree86 4.4.0 will include libexpat. However, I still think that the default should be to log the error messages when the _dri.so will not load or is missing required symbols. I don't think there is a valid configuration where those messages would erroneously be printed. I can think of such cases for all the other messages in dri_glx.c, but not for the errors in OpenDriver.