[XFree86] Re: help : vga driver

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, michael keren wrote:

>I'm using Linux redhat 7.2, and i'm having a problem
>with my graphic adapter driver. My graphic adapter
>driver doesn't listed in the linux drivers library. My
>graphic adapter is gigabyte ati radeon 9200se 128mb.
>Could i request driver for my graphic adapter...?thanks

Red Hat Linux 7.2 nowadays is very ancient, you should upgrade to
Red Hat Linux 9 at least, as 7.x becomes unsupported Dec 31,
2003. Also, the XFree86 release in that version of the operating
system is 4.1.0 which is extremely ancient.

The Radeon 9200SE is a brand new video card, and is not even
supported in the latest official XFree86 release, however it
might work in XFree86 4.3.0 (included in Red Hat Linux 9) if you
use the ChipID directive (man XF86Config) and tell the X server
that it is a Radeon 9000.

Rawhide XFree86 contains support for the newer models of Radeon,
however the 9200SE is not yet supported.  XFree86
developmental/experimental CVS head has support for the latest
cards, and I plan on backporting the rest of the ATI Radeon
support once I have spare time on a weekend to fiddle with it
(hopefully soon).

So, here are your options roughly:

- Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9, and fake the card is a 9000 via the
  config file ChipID option.  This should work for 2D, and might
  possibly even allow 3D acceleration to work as well.

- Wait a short while for the next Red Hat OS release "Fedora Core 1"
  to be released.  That will occur very soon, and will contain
  support for this card out of the box, or via an update shortly
  after (depending on if I have time to hack on it before the
  final release).

- Investigate if ATI's latest proprietary binary only drivers on
  their website support this card or not currently, and use that
  instead.  ATI's drivers are available usually for XFree86
  releases 4.1.0, 4.2.x, and 4.3.0.  I don't know if they support
  9200SE yet or not however.

- Use the "vesa" driver for now until official XFree86 support
  for this card is available.

- Hack the PCI IDs for this card into the Radeon driver source
  code, and recompile it yourself.  If you've never compiled
  XFree86 before, this one will be lots of fun.  ;o)

- Try using Alan Hourihane's XFree86 CVS head binary drivers, if
  they're up to date, they should have 9200SE support in them I
  believe.

While it's unfortunate you've got a card that is not yet
officially supported, the variety of options I've presented above
should give you something useable in less than an hour, and give
hope for the future at least.  ;o)

Hope this helps you out.

Take care,
TTYL