[XFree86] strange USB mouse behaviour

Hi!

I have installed XFree on my (working) LFS system, but my USB mouse (Saitek
Optical Mouse Pro, a wheel mouse) doesn't work properly. Moving it vertically
doesn't do anything, while moving horizontally results in vertical pointer
movement. Pressing a button (or the wheel button) shifts the pointer some
pixels to the right. The wheel doesn't do anything at all. In two words:
screwed up ...

Now, i have a parallel installation of SuSE 8.0 on the same machine and it
works perfectly well. I have tried out lots of different XFree settings for
the mouse, including those SuSE uses, but they don't change anything. Did i
miss something ? Does anybody know the solution to this problem ?