[XFree86] Re: How to make a user to use X application rather everyone on a server?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Myung-Jwa Kim wrote:

>right now, I made everyone on a server to run X applications(such as xclock)
>by 'xhost + localhost'
>
>but I want one user(such as IMA) to use x application other than root.
>Is there any commond or way to do that?

No idea what IMA is.  Presumeably it requires root priveledge to
execute from the gist of your statements though.  In this case,
use the su command or use sudo, or make it SUID root.

>My server is Redhat 2.1. I installed a application(IMA) that needs to
>run x application. I guess that that installation did assign x
>application privilege to the user(IMA) that I used to install that
>application.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "assign x application
priveledge".. Doesn't make much sense

>but after I did OS updates(including xfree86 something),
>the IMA can't run x application such as xclock.

What is "IMA"?  It's a bad idea to assume everyone is going to
know some obscure program name and how it works.

>one more thing. can I add localhost permanently?
>I need to type 'xhost + localhost' whenever I reboot system.

By default, using both "su" and "su -" in Red Hat Linux will have
X authorization set up automatically via PAM.  You can however
set up what you want by reading the "xhost" manpage, and paying
attention to the FILES section where it mentions /etc/X*.hosts

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris