[XFree86] How to configure a HP U8131-O USB optical mouse?

Dear Sir/Madam

At a trade fair I purchased an HP U8131-O USB optical mouse. It appears
to be a "MouseSystems" protocol and "auto" also works. The mouse works
fine but i can't get the scroll wheel to work. Here are the complete
specifications of the protocol:

>From cat /dev/ums0 - | hd

A 8byte word is sent everytime the state changes. Much of this is certainly
known to XFree but here it is:

Default (no action)
87 00 00 00 00 00 00 7f
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Byte 0 the buttons:	0x83	Left buttion pressed
			0x86	Right button pressed
			0x85	Centre (the wheel) button pressed
			0x82    L + R pressed
			0x81	L + C pressed
			0x84    C + R pressed
			0x80	all buttons pressed
			0x87	no buttons pressed

Byte 1 X-axis 'left'	0xff
Byte 2 Y-axis 'down'	0xff
Byte 3 X-axis 'right'	0x01
Byte 4 Y-axis 'up'	0x01
Byte 5 Wheel 'up'	0xff
Byte 6 Wheel 'down'	0x01
Byte 7 End of Frame	0x7f

Personally, i don't see how 'mapping buttons' has anything to do with
this mouse. It may just be a handy way to express the config? This is
a rather obscure mouse, but except for bytes 5 and 6 X sees it. Using
'xev' I see nothing from the wheel no matter how I configure it. Do you
have an easy way to do the configure? Sure, I can mess with the 'ums'
driver and get it, but want I to make sure before I do that.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Squire

PS: Running an amd64 which I bootstrapped FreeBSD on. Almost everything
works, and fast without the kernel panics and core dumps reported from
the v5.1 amd64 release. You can't even cvsup with that software!