[XFree86] Seeing large number for SIZE column in ps output - all may be ok, but just checking

Hello,

I am seeing large X process sizes on a number of RH9 machines. RSS stabilises at a reasonable value but SIZE is 150MB+ and on a machine with 128MB ram, I strongly suspect that this was the cause of swapping which basically brought the box to a standstill. I have bought and installed extra ram since, but this behaviour could potentially affect other workhorse machines which are also showing high SIZE figures for X.

I have reduced the problem down, by starting just X in runlevel 3, and just X & twm in runlevel three, but still see high process sizes. The display adapter is the intel 845/GL and if this is just a vram mapping issue then I'm sorry about taking up your time, although I am a little suspicious about what interactions large process sizes (ram & vram) may cause with the VM system. You might be good enough to put my mind at rest about that.

Various command outputs attached as files (lspci -v, pmap, restest, xdpyinfo), and X version, free and ps info included below.

Any more info needed or any tests to be run, just ask.

Warm Regards,

Dermot.
--

[dermot@bn1-wks-03 CVs]$ X -version

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-3bigmem i686 [ELF] Build Date: 27 February 2003
Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.0-test5 (root@bn1-wks-03) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #2 Thu Oct 9 10:13:05 BST 2003