Re: [XFree86] Dual head SIS651 card: two screens on 1 X, or separate x servers ?

Robert Rozman wrote:
I have sis651 dual head card with video bridge for secondary TV/DVI output.
Now I have setup system according to sis manuals, but have questions:
- in manuals it is said that secondary output should always be master
(initializes first) ? Now I get login screen on TV, but would really like to
switch and have login and master screen on first VGA and only smaller X
desktop(running subset multimedia applications on TV out - like Freevo) on
secondary TV output - any hint.

For various technical reasons it is neccessary to initialize CRT2 first. Assuming that you use Dual head mode (and not MergedFB mode) you may try playing aroung with the screen positioning, perhaps this helps.

One reliable method to solve this is running MergedFB mode, and setting the MergedXineramaCRT2IsScreen0 option accordingly.

It very much depends on your window manager how it treats the screens, ie in which order.

- Could I gain something if I use Framebuffer for secondary TV output ?

Yes, assumingly error messages or perhaps even a crash. If you don't use driver "sis" for both heads, dual head won't work.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria