[XFree86] All annoying error in I830WaitLpRing() in some details

skipped...

>>this NoAccel bug is reproducible: X11 can blacks after first time i switching
>>consoles, sometimes - after 10 times, sometimes - even after 20 times.
>>looks like (available?) agp memory amount determines this... maybe not...
>>
>>and i think this is a common bug for accel and non-accel setups: it doesn't
>>matter in the accel setup because the ring buffer bug takes precedence.
>>
>>and this is common bug for linux and bsd: after the paranoid console
>>switching, 4.3.0 under linux also blacks its console out. but there is
>>no ring buffer bug as i mentioned before.
>>
>>this "blacking" in non-accel looks like the pipe just deattaching from the
>>driver (or restoring its state incorrectly), so i can't see anything on the
>>X's tty while X runs completely normally (i.e. no lockups) and allows me to
>>switch to completely normally working text ttys.
>
> Does further switching give you a working XFree86 display again?

no. once "blacked" it cannot be restored to normal operation. until i
reboot the box...

> What happens if you exit that XFree86 session and restart XFree86?

it works fine if i just sequentially shutdown the X and restart
with no console switching. i have done 20-30 times like this with NO
problem. the "blacking" problem arise only when i try to switch
consoles. even on 4.3.99.14...

> FWIW, when I was working in the driver, I wasn't able to reproduce any
> switching-related problems with the hardware I had and the 4.3 version on
> Linux, even after literally hundreds of switches.

as i said before, linux shows NO ring buffer lockup, but "blacking"
problem exist on linux running 4.3.0.

> I'm pretty much out of suggestions, short of doing some very detailed
> tracing/debugging, or rewriting the mode handling code in the driver to
> avoid the video BIOS.

ehh... i am running out too and really confused :( but i will try to find
out more i830 hardware for tests to ensure what there is no bios/hardware
problem...