[XFree86] Configuration Radeon Mobility M6 LY

I'm actually using Linux 2.4.20 on a Compaq Presario 2701EA.
The version of XFree86 is 4.3.0
The Video Card is a Radeon Mobility M6 LY.
Can someone help me to configure it well?
Actually it works quite well, but I've found some problems:
1) When I shut down my laptop, I see a lot of vertical and horizontal
lines all over the screen. They are quite bad to see, but finally they
disappear when the machine stops.
2) I'm used to work with OpenGL on Windows, so I wanted to do the same
thing on Linux, but as I launch a very simple program (the code is
correct, it should just create a black window on the screen) the machine
freezes, and I must restart the laptop (no way to Ctrl-C or
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
Thanks anyone for any hint.
Paolo