[XFree86] Problem with ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LW

Hi all,
I have recently bought a Compaq evo N610C laptop and I'm encountering a problem with the graphics card adapter.
The display is flickering producing a distortion in the displayed image. While the display is in this destorted
shape it is impossible for someone to work with (not even shut down the laptop gracefully). The problem arises
through a list of actions listed below:
1. While booting and after switches to a high resolution display taking advantage of the frame buffer.
2. While switching from X display to virtual consoles and vice-versa (ctrl-alt + Fn)
3. When the lid is opened while the laptop is in normal operation.
4. While resuming from standby.

The current configuration I'm running is
- Debian woody distribution.
- kernel 2.4.22 with the corresponding ACPI patches.
- Xfree86 version 4.3.0

It is worth to mention that the monitor behaves normally when using Energy Star features (standby, suspend, off)
with the help of "xset dpms" command. The problem seems to have no relation with power management issues since it
persists with or without ACPI kernel functionality.

Is the source of the problem known? Is there a way to fix it or limit its impatcs ? Could the CVS gives a solution?
If no current solution available, are any developments underway ,addresses this buggy dehavior?

I'm looking forward to hear from you,

Thank you in advance,

Dimtris S. Economou.