Re: [XFree86] Xfree 4.3.0.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.8

Jan Van Belle wrote:
Alan Coopersmith wrote:

Then you won't be able to open sockets in the normal directories unless you
make sure the Solaris Xsun never ever runs, which would require your sysadmin
to configure the system not to start dtlogin at system bootup, or to have
dtlogin always start yours.

[HOME]~> dtlogin
Only root wants to run dtlogin
[HOME]~>         :-)

Right - as I said, this is something your sysadmin would need to change.

I did a general grep for the string '/tmp/' and '.X11-unix' in the source before, but it is almost not mentioned in the code. Is it something system-dependant, some shell-variable (didn't see it with 'env').

It's hardcoded in xc/lib/xtrans/Xtranssock.c, which is built into libX11 & Xsun.

[HOME]~> Xsun :0
ld.so.1: Xsun: fatal: libfreetype.so.6.3: open failed: No such file or
directory
zsh: 1276 killed     Xsun :0

Looks like you didn't link it with the correct -R flag (or LD_RUN_PATH) to find libfreetype at runtime.

Although I have a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 system now, I think the Xsun server is still the 2.6 one. I don't know how to check this.

That would be very hard to do unless whoever installed the system did something very strange. /usr/ccs/bin/mcs -p /usr/X/bin/Xsun should print the version number of the Solaris Xsun though. The Solaris 8 one will say "Solaris X11 Version 6.4.1" followed by the date of when it was built. The Solaris 2.6 one would say "OpenWindows 3.6".

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-         alan.coopersmith@xxxxxxx
         Sun Microsystems, Inc.    -     Sun Software Group