Re: [XFree86] Large pixmaps

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Chris Spiegel wrote:

> Hi,
>   Over time my X server keeps growing in memory usage.  I'm aware that
> this isn't a problem with the X server, and so I'd like to find out
> where exactly the problem is.
>
> I used restest, which reports the following client that looks like the
> culprit:
> Client 8 (base = 0x1200000, mask = 0x1fffff): 10 resource types
>    WINDOW: 45
>    PIXMAP: 22002  (133706080 bytes)
>    GC: 38
>    FONT: 7
>    CURSOR: 5
>    OTHER CLIENT: 15
>    PASSIVE GRAB: 8873
>    Unregistered resource 16: 1
>    Unregistered resource 19: 83
>    Unregistered resource 37: 1
>
> The size of the X process is at about 190M right now, and a very large
> chunk of that looks to be this particular pixmap.  Unfortunately, I have
> no idea how to match the above information with a particular program
> that is causing the trouble.  Is it even possible to find out who owns,
> or at least created, this pixmap?

   It's not one pixmap.  It's 22002 pixmaps totalling 133 MBytes, all
owned by client 8.  That client's base is 0x1200000.  You can usually
find which client it is by looking at the window ids.  Run xwininfo
on various windows.  The ones that have a Window id that starts with
0x1200000 will be owned by the same client.

   It looks like that client is creating but never freeing pixmaps.

			Mark.