[XFree86] XGetWindowProperty returning null prop_return but nonzero nitems_return

I have a program here that's always worked fine in the past that has suddenly
started crashing recently. I've tracked the crash down to a XGetWindowProperty
call that is returning a NULL prop_return. The weird thing is that
nitems_return is non-zero (9 in fact) though num_prop_return is zero.

Maybe I misunderstand the API here, but it seems the author read the same man
page and came to the same conclusion. He only checks for a nonzero
nitems_return before dereferencing prop_return.

The weird thing is it only seems to happen for KDE windows, not other windows.

Is this a bug in xlib? Or in this application? Is there a documentation bug?

XGetWindowProperty(dpy, win, XA_WM_NAME, 0, 1000, False,
                   AnyPropertyType, &type, &format, &items,
                   &left, &name)

>From the man page:

       nitems_return
                 Returns the actual number of 8-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit items stored in the prop_return data.

       num_prop_return
                 Returns the length of the properties array.

       prop_return
                 Returns the data in the specified format.

--
greg