[XFree86] G400 Dual Head and RedHat 9

I think redhat compiles xfree86 with the "use_hal" (I forget the exact
name) flag turned off.  what you need to do is recompile the mga driver
with that flag on (I think that is the default for a stock xfree86).
then the mga driver will load the hal module for features that need it.

Alex

list.  The issue appears to be pertinent to both XFree86 and RedHat 9,
and I have not seen any specific mention of it in the current archives
when I searched on Google.  I apologize for the length of the note but
want to get as many possibly pertinent details into it as I can.

   We recently had a meltdown on a box that had RedHat 7.3 installed;
we
decided to install the latest version of RH since support for 7.3 seems
likely to go away in the near future.  The box contains the following
hardware:

ASUS P2B-D Dual PII motherboard
Dual PII 450 Deschutes CPUs w/512K cache
448 MB non-ECC PC100 RAM
3Com 3C905B-TX Ethernet
ESS-1968 Maestro 2 sound
Matrox G400 Dual-Head w/16 MB RAM
Generic 40X CD-ROM
6.4 GB Quantum IDE HD
13 GB IBM IDE HD
ViewSonic P810 21" Monitor
IBM P200 20" Monitor

   The 6.4 GB drive has an old installation of NT 4.0 on it which we
have enabled for dual-boot.  The 13 GB is the primary channel master,
the 6.4 is the primary channel slave, and the CD is the secondary
channel master drive.

   On to the problem: when we installed RH 9, we were unable to set up
dual head Xinerama display as we had previously.  Not surprising, as we
had to download the Matrox binary-only drivers to make that work on RH
7.3.  We downloaded the latest drivers from Matrox which are currently
labeled 3.0 compared to the old ones at 2.0, and installed them.  After
some initial weirdness with the MGA PowerDesk utility showing the
second
head greyed out so that it appeared it was impossible to configure it,
we were able to get the second monitor up.  For some odd reason, if you
double-click in the (empty) area to the right of the monitor icons in
Power Desk where the "mode selection" radio buttons go, it suddenly
decides to activate the second monitor.  Go figure.

   So, we configure the monitors into dual-head mode, left and right
merged display.  Restarting X brings up the dual-head display as we
expected, and we were able to log in.  We configured up2date and got
all
currently available updates onto the box.  Then we started actually
trying to use the system, and the problems began to appear.  Here are
the primary problems:

1) Anything GL-related can (and probably will) kill X.  This problem
first manifested when the primary user would walk away from the machine
long enough for the screensaver to come on.  He would often come back
and find that he'd been logged out.  He initially thought this was some
wacky new auto-logout feature built into the screensaver and wasted
some
time trying to find something in the configuration windows to disable
it.  We found that we could force the crash by selecting preview on any
of the GL screensavers such as GLForestFire.

2) Any version of Mozilla other than the 1.2.1 that ships with Redhat
is
extremely unstable.  Browsing to the Ximian site locked up both 1.3 and
1.4 stable versions of Mozilla.  We downloaded Firebird 0.6.1 as well,
with the same results.  Most of the time they won't even start; you get
an empty grey window frame when you try to start any of them.  Redhat's
1.2.1 continues to run like a champ.

   We de-installed the Matrox drivers and went back to single-head
mode,
and all of the problems immediately vanished.  OK, so we went looking
for information on this problem.  We were unable to find anyone else
who
was having the specific problems we were having, either in the mailing
list archives for redhat, XFree86, or the Linux lists at Matrox.  We
found some stuff through groups.google.com which suggested we might be
able to run the G400 in dual-head mode without using the (clearly
buggy)
Matrox drivers, but that turned out to be totally fruitless.  We set up
a xinerama-enabled XF86Config file and attempted to run with the 4.3.0
stuff that we had installed.  No joy.  XFree86.0.log clearly showed
that
it wanted the mga_hal_drv.o file to be available.  We finally concluded
that the folks who claimed to be running without the Matrox drivers
must
be running distros that shipped with mga_hal_drv.o installed and they
just weren't aware of it.  One of them was running Mandrake, but I
don't
recall which version it was.  You can find those posts on Google by
searching for "Mantrox G400 Dual" (and no, that's not a typo).

   Documentation for XFree86 states that the default behavior for the
MGA driver is to load the MGA HAL driver if it is available, so we
tried
installing *just* the mga_hal_drv.o file from Matrox but leaving the
stock 4.3.0 mga_drv.o file in place.  No joy.  The second head would
not
turn on.  Primary head worked fine, and none of the crashing problems
were there.  The 4.3.0 Matrox mga_drv.o file is almost 20 times larger
than the one for 4.2.1, which suggested that there might be a bunch of
debugging code in there which was the source of the problems.  Some
archived posts to the Matrox Linux list stated that it was possible to
run the 4.2.1 Matrox drivers under 4.3.0, so we decided to try this.
We
renamed the Matrox distribution 4.2.1 directory to 4.3.0 and ran the
install.sh script, and voila, a working dual-head system.  Except that
the GL problems were still there.  And none of the standard versions of
Mozilla would even start.  But the 1.2.1 Mozilla that shipped with RH 9
*does* still work.

   We have decided at this point to backtrack to RH 8.0 and hope that
the problems won't follow us.  RH 8.0 ships with XFree86 4.2.1 which is
the same version we were running on 7.3 and we know that it works.  So,
the questions are:

1) Is the problem due to XFree86 4.3.0, or something else in RH 9?  Is
it package specific or a result of some combination of things such as
XF86, glibc, and gcc 3.2.2?

2) Why does nobody else seem to be having this problem?

3) Why should the problem break Mozilla/Gecko specifically?  Why does
the RH Mozilla 1.2.1 work fine?

   As I've stated, we have given up on RH 9.  However, we recognize
that
eventually we will probably have to upgrade to a newer version and so
it
is in our best interest to see these problems fixed.  So, we are
getting
the bug reports in and hoping that they will be useful to the nice
folks
at to RedHat and XFree86.  Please feel free to email me or post to the
list with any follow-up questions, and I will provide you with as much
additional information as I can

regards,
Jim Wiggs