Re: [XFree86] dual-head - dual-user question

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:21:51AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    Can XFree86, with any known graphics hardware configuration, handle two
> separate users running two separate XFree desktops on the same PC? These two
> users would log in separately, but share machine resources. ssh is not an
> option.

Certainly.  You can run multiple copies of X, or multiple xdm's, on separate
virtual consoles, and use Ctrl-Atl-7, Ctrl-Alt-8, etc, to switch between
them.

>    The best solution, in my mind, would be if a single dual-head graphics
> adapter could be used such that one user is on one monitor and the other
> user is on a second monitor.

*Maybe*.  I'm not real familiar with multi-head.  I suspect not, but I might
be wrong.

>    Less compelling, but still acceptable in my specific case, would be a
> second graphics adapter, PCI-based, that displayed the second desktop.

This might be easier.

>    Is anything like this possible? Can the two monitors be considered as two
> completely separate displays by XFree?

Um, where were you planning to plug in a second keyboard?  :-)

Look into DOSVNC and a spare 386.

	http://c0w.inode.at/mjy/dosvnc.html  (warning: political comment on page)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c