Re: [XFree86] Belkin KVM switch and Gnome, console mouse service

At 11:20 30-09-03 -0700, Eich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Message: 52
>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:05:46 +0200
>From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [XFree86] Belkin KVM switch and Gnome, console mouse service
>
>Mark Vojkovich writes:
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, jmw wrote:
> >

> >   Switching VTs and back should help.  XFree86's mouse protocol parsing
> > just doesn't seem to be smart enough to deal with this sort of thing.
> >

>I'm not sure if this is the problem of the mouse protocol parsing.
>The mouse needs to send a mouse replug event. There are two
>possibilities:
>
>a: The mouse does not send such an event: in this case the driver has
>   no chance at all to detect this condition. (I don't know what
>   happens. I don't own a KVM switch).
>b: The mouse does send this event. The sequence sent can also be part
>   of a normal mouse sequence. Therefore the driver needs to do some
>   timing to detect this situation. This is not trivial to do from
>   userland. Currently the code doing this is turned off.
>
>You could try
>Protocol "Auto"
>It notices that something the data format changed and will try to
>reinitialize the mouse.
>
>Egbert.

thanks for the reply.  i don't know, but suspect this MS PS/2 Intellimouse
is mostly passive -- no 'replug'.  if there were such a command, i expect
it would be part of a driver that is in Win 2K (or other Windows O/S).  and
that could explain why i don't see this problem in a windows environment.
if there is similar code in RH9, or XFree86, and it's disabled, it seems my
only choice is to restart GPM at each event (what i do now, anyway).

i want to try your suggestion, and i poked around in mouse preferences
and settings for RH9, but don't find anything like "auto" for protocol choice.
could you be more explicit?
--
jmw