Re: [XFree86] XServer not working

Quoth James Muo:

> I bought and installed a red hat linux 9.0 on an intel P4 2.4GHZ
> processor Dell Dimension 2400 series. Memory - 128MB Shared 333MHZ DDR
> SDRAM and Graphics - Intel Extreme Graphics (Graphics Chipset - I
> think is Intel 845GL)

(II) I810(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 95228 kB available
(II) I810(0): Will attempt to tell the BIOS that there is 12288 kB
VideoRAM
(WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.

That looks like your problem.  Welcome to the wonderful world of shithouse
DELL Bioses.  The problem is that dell's BIOS only pre-allocates 832 kByte
for video memory at boot time.  When the i810 driver tries to update this
to use the 12MB you specified in you XFree86 config file, the BIOS won't
let it.

So your X server only has 892KB of memory, which isn't enough to allow it
to programme video modes higher that 640x480x8bpp.

This is a pretty standard problem for DELL desktops and laptops using the
intel graphics and is the fault of DELL.  Intel has released a VideoBIOS
update to fix this problem.  DELL has not implemented it in it's BIOS
updates. Hassle dell tech support to fix it!!

As a workaround, there is a patch for the 845 and 855 chipsets that screws
with the bios and overwrites this number with one you specify. Kudos to
christian zietz for this:
http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

It MAY work for you. It may not.  I've used it sucessfully to get my
855GM-based laptop working.

Try the patch, and use the vanilla 4.3.0 Xserver with kernel modules i810
and i830 (for 3d hardware acceleration).

And finally - the dell community message boards are a good source on info,
esp the "software - linux" boards.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums

cheers
chris

|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |