[XFree86] Computing modelines for 1600sw/MLA combination

In trying to generate modelines and XF86Config-4
for my system I am wondering which is the more
complete and accurate method.

I am running 4.2.0-SuSE and would like to do
a more complete configuration, but I am
really unfamiliar with modelines,
even after spending time in HOW-TOs.

I discovered xmode and noticed that it generates
modelines that are different from those generated
by xf86cfg. I have spent quite some
time searching for the pixel clock for my g400MAX.

I have used SAX2, I'm running SuSE 7.3, but
would like to gain a better grasp and SAX2 does not
do a complete configuration for my hardware.

I'd appreciate any tips as I am sure that in the
future as I upgrade it will require less effort
if I do not rely on a vendor application.

TIA,

Squanto

"...it is the nature of parties to retain their original
enmities far more firmly than their original principles."
-- Macaulay