[XFree86] Keyboard configuration : Alt chars + Console Switching

Resume of keyboard configuration for alt chars

Introduction
============
I installed a Mandrake + XFREE 4.3.x on my French Macintosh.

When I press the {(,5} key, I want :
5 => (
Shift + 5 => 5
Alt + 5 => {
Shift + Alt + 5 => [

The 2 first are OK, and the two last were bad.
I ask this maillist and I get two solutions :

Solution 1 :
=============
Well, the modifier that it sees is Alt_L. You want it to see Mode_shift. You
can cause this to happen by putting this into your .Xmodmap file:

keysym Alt_R = Mode_switch

Then run `xmodmap .Xmodmap` and the left alt key should generate Mode_switch
and you can get your characters.

Solution 2 :
=============
put in the symbols/...  you'll see lines like this:

key <RALT> { [ Mode_switch, Multi_key ] };

These two solutions seem's to be good.

Problem
========
Press the Shift + Right Alt + 5 keys gives me  [. but, I want to
switch to a TTY vritual terminal (Alt + Ctl + F1 => nothing).

Test 1 ====== No modification in the symbols files + xmodmap Shift + Right Alt + 5 keys gives me [ Shift + Left Alt + F1 keys switches the terminal

Test 2 ====== modification in the symbols files (and no xmodmap) Shift + Right Alt + 5 keys gives me [ Shift + Left Alt + F1 keys gives a char, but no switch Shift + right Alt + F1 keys gives a char, but no switch

Questions
1) Why there is a different behavior between the symbols configuration file and the xmodmap ? I was thinging that these are two different ways to do the same thing (so they would have the same result for the same cause). It is a bug ?

2) Is there a possibility to be able to switch with (y Shift + y Alt + F1) and to have also a char for (z Shift + z Alt + 5) ?

Thanks
PHL