[XFree86] thinkpad 560e and 4.3.0 - log and XF86config posted on web, please help!

Hi Folks,

I have posted my X server log, my config file, and the commands
I use to start it, on the web as:

http://conquest.palmside.com/560e/XF86Config.new.txt
http://conquest.palmside.com/560e/XFree86.0.log.txt
http://conquest.palmside.com/560e/jm_startx.txt

I added the .txt extension so you could read them directly in your browser.
The config file is basically the result of XFree86 -configure, into
which I added the hfreq/vfreq/modeline (ignored - see question 2 below)
I am running with the XFree86 and trident_drv.o from CVS that Allen
pointed me to a few days ago.  I just get a black screen, no errors, and
I can even run X clients, can't see them, but no errors are reported.

1) The 3 transport (?) errors at the top are mysterious to me
2) I don't understand why the log file contains an attempt to use many
   modelines, where they are coming from eludes me.  I have specified
   the modeline hfreq and vfreq from a working XF86Config from an older
   but working RH 7.1 configuration.
3) I have the older XF86_SVGA server, but when I run it, it can't find the
    default font file "fixed".  But the xfs server is running.
4) I believe this machine actually has 2MB of video RAM, unlike my
   560 (non E) with 1 MB, but the probe only detects 1MB.

Although I would love to use the newest 4.3.0 server, at this point I would
be very happy running any version of XFree86 that will work on this newly
installed Mandrake 9.1 system. Before I give up though, I wanted to take
a chance on getting help from someone on 4.3.0. I also do not know all
the steps required to revert to an older server on this Mandrake 9.1, so I'll
holdoff for now.

If there are other options available, other than reverting to my old Redhat 7.1
install, I would welcome any and all.

Many thanks as always, have a great weekend, and my fingers are crossed waiting!

John