From: "John Miskinis" <conquestsoftware@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [XFree86] Mandrake 9.1 - execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:27:38 -0400

Hi Folks,

I really hope someone here can set my on my way, as I've been trying
for almost a week to get a decent/recent LINUX on my Thinkpad 560E.

I'm trying Mandrake 9.1 this time, and even before I got the new CVS-built
driver and XFree86 exe for trident, I continue to have problems. I just went
through a complete re-install from scratch.

Now, when I execute startx from root, I get:

Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /root/.Xauthority
Using authority file /root/.Xauthority

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
giving up
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): unexpected signal 2

When I previously tried the older XFree86 option 3.3.6 I had different problems
where it could not find the default font fixed. And during the install, it couldn;t
configure X, told me xfs was not running. I even tried starting it myself, same problem.

I have a modeline that works on older XFree versions, and I'm really anxious to
get a newer distro than redhat 7.1 on my machine if possible. To date no X configuration
utility has ever succeeded for the thinkpad 560/E but folks have posted working configs,
although all of these are pre 4.3.0.

Please help me if you can,

Thanks, John