[XFree86] Problem with "virtual" mode operation

Please pardon a question from a relative newbie.

I'm putting together a small computer to attach to my
television.  I'm using a VIA EPIA motherboard (VT8601A
North Bridge with integrated video).  I've setup X to
run at 640x480x16bpp.  Everything works fine.  No
issues.

Since 640x480 is a bit small, I would now like to
enable the virtual desktop by adding "virtual 1024
768" in the Modeline section.  I have followed
examples that I have seen on other mailing lists.

When I attempt to startx, the screen comes up with
what appears to be a refresh rate problem.  I can move
the mouse around and confirm that the virtual desktop
is indeed running, but the image is terribly
"stretched" in the horizontal dimension.
Commenting out the "virtual 1024 768" line fixes the
problem, but leaves me without the virtual desktop.

Unfortunately, I am not near the computer at the
moment, so I can't attach my XF86Config-4 file.

Any suggestions?  Is there some implication with the
refresh rate that I am missing?

XFree86 4.3.0

Thanks in advance,
Sean