[XFree86] Re: Saphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, bill and kary wrote:

>Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:52:19 -0700
>From: bill and kary <bill7kary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Saphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis
>
>Hello,
>
>Can someone please tell me if there is a 3D driver available for this
>card under linux?  I have tried everything from the drivers at ATI.com,
>to the ones on the germany site, schneir.com (or something like that),
>to the dri website and nothing seems to work.  I have also tried
>fglrx.o, ati.o, and radeon.o to no avail.  2D works great, but I get the
>generic error message:
>
>Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>Video mode set failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
>
>when I try to kick off an opengl application.  Here are my X logs.  This
>is a run with the radeon driver.  Pretty much any driver yields the same
>results.  I am using XFree86 4.3.0.   Kernel 2.4.20-20.9. I have no
>exotic hardware (SB Live!, Athlon 1900+). This is the latest greatest
>offering from Redhat 9 with all released updates applied.
>
>I bought this card to do opengl development, so you can guess my
>disappointment.

The Radeon 9600 is not supported at all by XFree86 4.3.0.

Your log indicates that you've previously had an Nvidia card
installed in your system and have installed Nvidia's proprietary
drivers.  Parts of your config file still refer to these drivers.
Also, the Nvidia installer overwrites modules supplied by the OS,
and are in conflict with using other hardware.

Please reinstall XFree86 as supplied by Red Hat, then run:

redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

After that you will have the files supplied by Red Hat.  You can
get working 2D by editing the config file and overriding the
chipID.  That is 2D only, and unsupported.

In order to get working 3D, you'll have to download and install
ATI's proprietary video drivers from their website, and
reconfigure X to use them as per ATI's instructions.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris