[XFree86] Mapping a frame-buffer for a larger virtual display into a 1meg card?

Greetings,
I've got a Trident 96xx series card and an older Multisync][ monitor which
seems to work fine for basic purposes (in either 800x600x8 or 640x480x16).
The trouble is that it looks like it's only got 1 meg of video memory on
the card, and many apps want at least 800x600x16.  I've got plenty of
system memory, and am wondering if there's a way to convince XF86 to use a
frame buffer for virtual resolution (at, say  1024x768x16) and then map
that into the 640x480x16 display area.  I've tried playing with the
"Virtual" option (as this has worked on other systems with more video RAM
but the same monitor limitations), but when I push it to these
resolutions, it gripes about not having enough memory on the card to do
it.  I've seen something about a ShadowFB option, but I'm neither sure
whether it will solve the problem, nor how (if it would solve matters) to
go about configuring it to do what I want.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!  Thanks,

-tim