[XFree86] ati,compaq blinks

Hello,

I am using Slackware's Linux and XFree86 Version 4.2.0 and have set my
driver to 'ati' in the XF86Config file.  My ati card is a 3d ati rage
pro turbo agp.  My monitor is a compag presario mv900 and I have set the
 HorizSync and VertRefresh to 30-95 and 50-160 respectively as indicated
 by my monitors manual.  When my driver is set to 'vesa', everything
seems to work fine, with the exception of the colours looking not as
good, but when I set the driver to 'ati', the colours look much better,
but every 30 seconds the screen blinks off and on quickly.  the delay
between blinks seems to vary with what I am doing, sometimes being the
30 seconds mentioned, other times being 10 seconds.  I've looked on the
xfree86 site and found no information on this, the linux Howto's also
seem to not be helpful, and doing plain searches on google don't seem to
 come up with anything either.

-blinkity blink blink