Re: [XFree86] Sync-On-Green option

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 02:53:25PM -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2003 10:50 am, Bonny wrote:
> > What is the meaning of the "syncongreen" option which can be inserted
> > into a "Monitor Section"?
>
> My first smart-ass answer is that if you need to ask, you don't need to know.
> ;-)

Correct.  :-)

> What I think I know:
>
> Some monitors have 3 or 4 BNC connectors instead of the 15 pin DIN connector
> typical of modern (S)VGA monitors.  When there are 4 BNC connectors, the sync
> signal must be sent on one of those by itself.  If there are only 3, the sync
> signal must be combined with one of the color signals, usually green (I
> think).
>
> What I don't know:
>
> In the typical 15 pin DIN connection, I don't know if sync is a separate pin
> or not.
>
> I don't know if some monitors (15 pin or BNC) require the sync on some color
> other than green.

VGA connectors (DB15HD) carry the horizontal and vertical sync on separate
pins, among other things because the polarity of those signals tells the
monitor something (though I don't remember what).

Monitors with BNC connectors may have 3, 4, or 5.

If they have 5, the sync is separate: RGBHV.  If they have 4, it's combined:
RGBS.  If they have three, it's composite, usually written RGsB, or
sync-on-green.

It's also worth noting that most large-screen monitors with *only* BNC
connectors are fixed-frequency; while you can run them from X slightly more
conveniently than from Windows, you *can't* see anything in text mode, unless
you configure your machine to boot to the frame buffer... and you *still*
won't be able to see anything in the BIOS.

I've never seen a monitor where the composite sync was on any other color
than green.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c