Re: [XFree86] Sync-On-Green option

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Randy Kramer wrote:

> On Monday 01 September 2003 10:50 am, Bonny wrote:
> > What is the meaning of the "syncongreen" option which can be inserted
> > into a "Monitor Section"?
>
> My first smart-ass answer is that if you need to ask, you don't need to know.
> ;-)
>
> What I think I know:
>
> Some monitors have 3 or 4 BNC connectors instead of the 15 pin DIN connector
> typical of modern (S)VGA monitors.  When there are 4 BNC connectors, the sync
> signal must be sent on one of those by itself.  If there are only 3, the sync
> signal must be combined with one of the color signals, usually green (I
> think).
>
> What I don't know:
>
> In the typical 15 pin DIN connection, I don't know if sync is a separate pin
> or not.

   VGA connectors have separate horizontal and vertical syncs.
The BNC versions of those have 5 connectors.

   If you have 4 BNC connectors that is "composite sync" with the
horizontal and vertical syncs sharing the same sync line.

   If you have 3 BNC connectors the composite sync is added to the green
analog line.

   While some video cards can produce composite syncs or sync-on-green,
not all, perhaps even most, cannot.  There are, however, converters
that go between the monitor and video card that can change VGA into
sync-on-green or composite.  The schematics are simple.

			Mark.