Re: [XFree86] Re: Re: upgrading video card

--- "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Michael Juntunen wrote:
>
> >Diamond Speedstar A50 w. 8 meg
> >
> >Since diamond no longer seems to be in business,
> and I am having
> >the problems that I am it would seem to be time to
> get rid of
> >this card.
>
> That's probably a good idea, as ancient hardware
> generally is
> much less supported and maintained than newer
> hardware.
>
> The "Diamond Speedstar A50" according to Google,
> uses an SiS6326
> chipset, which is supported by XFree86 4.3.0, and
> presumeably
> should work however.
>
> What version of XFree86 are you using?  What problem
> are you
> experiencing exactly?

My monitor has two resolution 640x480 and 1024x768.
No matter what I did I could not get the higher
resolution to work. I did a google serch and tried
every modeline that I could find for that monitor.
tried the modeline generator at xfree and still
nothing.  I was having the same problem in windows
until I was able to find the proper windows video
driver at one of the driver sites.  This is what leads
me to believe that until I can get a proper linux
driver this card is not going to kick over to the high
resolution of my monitor (at least not in linux).  I
doubt I am going to get a proper working driver, so
that leaves new card.

obo, I did try the setting for the SiS chip in linux
and that still didn't help.

Also, in linux the view I get on the monitor is like
looking through a window at a bigger picture.  In
other words the screen (and different windows) extend
out past the edges of the monitor.  I have tried one
utility (i forget the name just now) that changed the
parameters on the fly but it was only partially
successful.

Oh, and I am seing Mandrake 9.1.  If I remember
correctly that does have XFree86 4.3.

Thank you for all your interest btw.