[XFree86] no Gui loading

Ok, maybe someone here may know how I can get this fixed.  I just installed
the newest version on xfree86 binaries for my system (Red Hat 9, 686), and
everything.  When I load up the gui login screen I have a window off to the
side saying "Console log for localhost.localdomain".  How do I get rid of
this window?  I am not wanting this to be shown when I want to log in.  Also
when I log in as a user, I get 2 main windows, one being the xterm, other
one with the caption of "xsm: Default" having 4 buttons "Client list,
Session log, Checkpoint, and Shutdown".  I do I get rid of these, and just
go into my default gui (which happens to be gnome at the moment)?

Thanks
Chris