Re: [XFree86] Problems with S3 968 Vision

Hi,

On: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:27:30 -0500 (CDT),
    Tothwolf <tothwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Rene Rebe wrote:
>
> > I just got an old IBM PowerPC box with S3 Vision 864 - where even no
> > code is present in 4.3.x to support it ... Your 964 should be support
> > (from what I see in the code), and your XFree also recognize it:
> >
> > (II) S3: driver (version 0.3.5 for S3 chipset: 964-0, 964-1, 968,
> > 	Trio32/64, Aurora64V+
>
> The problem is that the IBM RGB526 RAMDAC is not supported. All of the 968
> based cards I have use that RAMDAC, though there were other RAMDACs that
> could be used with the 968 too.

Yes - I know about this details. My box used an SDAC - but support for
the IBM RAMDAC is present.

> > Nevertheless - I just started to port the old code from 3.3.6 for my
> > card (864) to 4.3.99.x.
>
> If you port the RGB526 RAMDAC support for the 968, I'd like to test your
> changes.

This should be there (at least 4.3.99.x).

> > I also have some old Western Digital Paradise, and a ET3000 lying
> > arround. And if I'm lucky I should have my first Videocard in my life
> > - a Tseng Labs - lying somewhere. If I find free time I could port those
> > bits, too. I really would like to see all the old cards supported -
> > maybe someone wants to sponsor me to port the code?
>
> I too have some of these cards, and many, many more. I have a fairly large
> collection of old cards, but I don't have any programming docs for their
> chip sets.

If you know C and have some spare time this should be possible to just
port the old drivers.

But the S3 is a rahter complex one with all this RAMDACs and IMHO
higly spaghetti coded :-(

I spent nearly a full work-day to port the SDAC GENDAC code - and I'm
not yet finished. But this is postponed until I have more free time -
or a sponsor (I currently can not afford investing a whole week or so
to port this).

> (Note, I didn't CC: this to the mailing list, though it might be
> on-topic.)

I CC it again ;-)

> -Toth

Sincerely yours,