[XFree86] Hooking Inter-X/Applications ...

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Hello,

I'm in the process of constructing an on-screen
keyboard for use in a Linux/X environment.  I would
like this keyboard to idle as a background process to
come alive (become visible) only when appropriate:
when a widget for character-input is brought to focus.

Is there documentation, source, or any other resource
that may educate me on the X framework surrounding
input widgets and their device interfaces?  I'm aware
of a mechanism by which I can "attach" to such a focus
event; however, the mechanism by which I might
"attach" from another X application is eluding me.  Is
X in any way obvious when its awaiting such character
input?

Any direction you may be able to provide would be
useful: documentation, source excerpts, applications
that implement such a feature.  Even keywords/terms
that I might use to base an Internet search would be
useful.

Thank in advance,

-Andrew