[XFree86] Re: What's the matter with the list...

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, jayjwa wrote:

>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:59:13 +0000
>From: jayjwa <jayjwa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: What's the matter with the list...
>
>I thought all those viruses couldn't touch us on Linux or UNIX flavors,
>most viruses I seen are for Windows or windows' mail clients like outlook
>or mal-scripts for Internet Explorer. I haven't had any troubles....

If someone sends you an email virus directly to your own mailbox,
then you download it.  If 1000 people send you that virus, then
you download it 1000 times.  It doesn't matter what OS or email
software you are using, it is just another email, albeit an
annoying one.  If you use the Micro$haft Outbreak software that
such viruses usually target, then you'll likely spread the virus
to others as well unknowingly.  If you use Linux then of course
you wont spread it further, but you will still get ten billion
copies of the thing in your inbox and have to delete them or
filter them out.

Wether or not someone is infected, everyone is annoyed by getting
10000 emails they don't want, so the virus pays its tolls on
everyone simply by filling everyone's email inboxes.

That's not enough though.  Oh no.  The millions of braindead mail
server admins out there are smart enough to run antivirus
software to detect and block such viruses from their own systems,
but they're stupid enough to have the antivirus software
configured to send out an autoresponder email when a virus is
detected.  However, the viruses are forging the From: and/or
Sender: and/or whatever headers in the email, so the
autoresponders are sending antivirus alert messages out randomly
to millions of people who had absolutely nothing to do with
sending the virus in the first place.

Since the forged addresses the viruses use are random addresses
taken from address books and emails received on the infected
computer, they include innocent individual people like me and
you, and they also include innocent mailing lists like
xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

In short:  joeblow1234@xxxxxxx gets sent a copy of the virus.  He
is running Windows and the vulnerable mail client.  The virus
infects his computer, and then sends out God knows how many
copies of itself to random people's addresses in his address book
and from mails he's received, however the "From:" address it uses
are also randomized like that.  The people receive copies of the
virus and some of them then spread it on unknowingly.  However
those who do not get infected, either get their email inbox
filled, or else their mail system filters out the virus for them.
Some of those mail filter systems running antivirus software then
send out their stupid damned antivirus warning alert messages to
the forged From: address, which happens to be xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
or whatever, and so once it hits the mailing list, it is then
sent out to several hundred or thousand more people.

The antivirus software is in fact as bad if not worse than the
viruses themselves.  Viruses end up using antivirus software as
massive email system denial of service amplifiers.

In addition to that, some people are on vacation and have stupid
vacation autoresponders set up that help to flood everyone's
email boxes with "I'm on vacation, not that you should give a
shit, but I'll send you a notice about it every 10 seconds
anyway" notices.

Then due to this massive amount of junkmail being sent, resent,
etc. people's email boxes start to fill up and max out their
quota or fill the hard disk storing their email.  Then, all of
these systems kindly send out a nice "mailbox is full, can't
deliver message" mail to everyone at the fake addresses and we're
all spammed again.  Those messages then get sent out to hundreds
of list subscribers once again, and fill up even more mailboxes.

The virus authors are not only laughing their asses off at the
damage their viruses have done, but they're laughing even
harder at how much the antivirus software is HELPING them to
destroy email communication on the Internet and cost businesses
hundreds of thousands of dollars.  They're laughing hard at the
sysadmins who enable these stupid autoresponders.  And they're
laughing the hardest, because they know when they find the next
hole in Micro$oft Outbreak 3-6 months from now, they can count on
the entire world having not learned their lesson from the last
time, so they can destroy the email system for 2 weeks once
again.

I fear the only way to stop all of this is draconianism.  It's
definitely going to continue to get much much worse before it
ever gets better.

Hope this helps many people out there understand the breadth and
depth of the Micro$oft email virus threat, and how much it does
affect everyone, including Linux users, even if our computers
don't directly spread the virus, the email system and stupid
system administration policies around the net spread the massive
DoS attack that is a domino-effect because of it.

Time for admins around the world to put the mouse down and wake
up and smell the maple nut crunch (to quote Denis Leary).

But I digress...

--
Mike A. Harris