Re: [XFree86] help with chips 65548 XF86Config

According to Akira Taniguchi <akira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (on 08/22/03):
> > You might also want to play with the SetMClk option.
>
> I do not know how about with SetMClk option.
> Shall you teach me that ?
> In my case, please read three files.

The point I was making with the SetMClk option was that perhaps the
65548 is pushing the video memory a bit too hard, either as a design
flaw or due to the age of the machine. This might result in video
corruption if the memory can't keep up. When you have acceleration
enabled, the video bandwidth is shared between the normal linear
framebuffer and the bitblt engine, causing a larger load on the memory
than when there is no acceleration enabled.

Slowing the memory clock might improve this situation. The format of
the option is something like

Option "SetMClk"  "38.000MHz"

However, the memory dislikes the algorithms used in the clock
selection code of the chips driver, where accuracy of the clock is
preferred over clocks with larger PLL division ratios and thus a
larger amount of spurious signals in the oscillator output. Thus a
poor choice of memory clock will result in its own set of corruption.

The other thing I suggested you try, was cycle between the outputs LCD
-> LCD/CRT -> CRT -> LCD and see what happens while X is running. This
allows the BIOS to reprogram the video registers, perhaps fixing the
problem. If the problem is resolved by doing this, then figuring out
what the BIOS is doing will resolve your problem...

D.

--
David Bateman                                David.Bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary